Monday, October 13, 2008

The Supper Club

You would think that someone that owns a trillion cookbooks, cuts out recipes from favorite magazines, and searches for recipes on recipe websites, would probably cook all the time and have dinner parties frequently, but actually I am so busy collecting recipes that I don't have time to cook! I love collecting recipes and menus for dinner parties and this past weekend I actually got to try out some of the many recipes I collect since it was my turn to have the neighborhood supper club dinner at my house. The problem was narrowing down hundreds of menus, themes and recipes and choosing the final menu. I considered having a pasta/Italian night, a Halloween party with heavy appetizers, a murder mystery dinner, a casual cookout on the deck, or a traditional beef and potato dinner. Ultimately, I decided on beef tenderloin, potatoes, asparagus, salad and rolls. I also wanted to have a couple of appetizers and a dessert. So.... many more hours of deciding on which recipe to choose from in these categories. I did a few trial runs to test out some new recipes and finally chose the menu that is posted on the sidebar. I had a wonderful time working on the meal and pulling out my china and crystal (that doesn't come out of the china cabinet often) and making a centerpiece for the dining room table.
Many hours later, the supper club dinner was over, my feet were tired and my kitchen was piled up with dishes to be washed, and I loved every minute of it! The bad thing is that I am even more motivated to search for new recipes and menus! Being part of a supper club is a great way to try out new recipes and also a great way to get to know new people. Well, time to look for some new recipes!

3 comments:

A said...

Love this! It's so true-- the hunt (and discovery!) of recipes only breeds more hunting of recipes. At least the result is good-tasting. Love the neighborhood supper club idea. Brilliant!

Katie said...

Haha! The search for the perfect recipes is more overwhelming than cooking them. I am so proud of you for being such a good blogger. You even referenced your side bar!

Katie said...

p.s. You need to post some pictures!